Spring in Chapel Hill is a colorful, beautiful time of year. Rebirth, renewal and lots, and lots of pollen in the air. We have about 1-2 weeks that will be approaching soon when it literally rains pollen. Since we relocated to North Carolina I learned that this area is one of the worst in the nation for allergies due to the short winter and warm climate that allows for many varieties of plants, molds, grasses, and trees to bloom. What I love about Chapel Hill, NC is also what makes my body feel terrible.
Some people get congestion from allergies but for me and others the response is inflammatory and neurological. What I have found is a great remedy that I use throughout the day to fight the inflammation in my body. I take Gaia Turmeric Allergy Supplements when needed as an extra boost however this is my go to to combat my allergies. Last season I spent much of it indoors, however this year I am enjoying Spring! I have continued to hike, walk, garden, read outside, and enjoyed a beautiful event welcoming Spring at the Eco-Institute at Pickard's Mountain last night symptom free!
The secret? Ginger elixir with turmeric! A ginger elixir with honey and lemon was recommended by my acupuncturist and I added in turmeric for an extra anti-inflammatory boost. The health benefits of ginger are numerous, including reducing nausea, indigestion, inflammation, viruses. I first began having ginger tea during chemo and it did wonders for my nausea. Here is some great information on this healing food from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/ginger
1. Peel about 1 cup of ginger (just learned a new hack of using a spoon!)
2. Put in food processor until grated, or you can hand grate.
3. Using a fine mesh sieve or tea infuser, pour 1.5 cups of hot water over the ginger (a large mason jar works great for this)
4. Enjoy! Drink as a shot or sip throughout the day. You can add some local honey (or manuka honey), lemon, or 1 tsp turmeric (another super food that is anti-inflammatory) if you would like
I leave it out in a mason jar and sip throughout the day or you can heat if you store it in the fridge. You can make it on Sunday and have it throughout the week. Mason jars travel well to work or play. It will keep in the refrigerator for about 5 days. What do you do with the ginger after the elixir is made? Use it for soups, chicken, fresh salad dressings, smoothies, or sautee greens with olive oil, ginger, and garlic. YUM!
- Apr 9, 2019 Pollen for All! And some natural remedies. Apr 9, 2019
- Mar 1, 2019 My why: This is the reason I am an educator and consultant! Mar 1, 2019
- Jan 28, 2019 Pink Became My Color, A Reflection Jan 28, 2019
- Jan 23, 2019 Eliminating Odors the Healthy (and Cheap) Way! Jan 23, 2019
- Jan 16, 2019 5 Simple Cost Effective Ways to 'Clean and Green' Your Kitchen Jan 16, 2019
- Dec 11, 2018 How "clean" are your cleaning products? Go Green with your Cleaning Routine! Dec 11, 2018
- Jul 31, 2018 The Ostrich Effect and Why it Matters to Our Health Jul 31, 2018
- Apr 26, 2018 New Business Model: Get One, Gift One Consulting Sessions Apr 26, 2018
- Dec 20, 2017 Simple Ways to Calm Down Fast Dec 20, 2017
- Nov 14, 2017 40! Nov 14, 2017
- Oct 30, 2017 Pink, October, and Pinkwashing Oct 30, 2017
- Jul 11, 2017 Ditch the plastic Week 3 - Bring your own travel coffee or tea mug Jul 11, 2017
- Jun 27, 2017 Ditch the Plastic Week #2 - Just Say No to the Straw! Jun 27, 2017
- Jun 20, 2017 Ditch the Plastic Week #1 Jun 20, 2017
- Jun 12, 2017 Simple ways to ditch plastic: weekly tips Jun 12, 2017
- Jun 5, 2017 Eat Collard Greens - Why does Kale get all the love? Jun 5, 2017
- May 23, 2017 Water, Water, Water May 23, 2017
- Jan 5, 2017 Warming Sweet Potato Chili Recipe: Autoimmune Allergen Friendly Jan 5, 2017
- Sep 26, 2016 Beauty through the Sadness Sep 26, 2016
- Mar 25, 2016 Spring (and pollen) is in the air! A natural food approach to allergies that works! Mar 25, 2016
- Jan 30, 2016 Green Your Exercise Routine - Local Spotlight Jan 30, 2016
- Jan 16, 2016 Our house remodel saga, from mild to severe Chemical Sensitivity Jan 16, 2016
- Dec 26, 2015 ...and Ecothriver begins! Living Scent Free with MCS Dec 26, 2015