The weather is finally getting colder in North Carolina and we are expecting snow which means being at home for possibly a few days (yes even a sprinkling will cause the state to shut down!). It is a great time to make a yummy, immune boosting chili recipe! I have tried various recipes and have created a hybrid of various recipes. This is a recipe that my entire family gobbles up. It can be served with simply a spoon, in a taco shell, or scooped up with tortilla chips (my family's preference). You can top with fresh cilantro for a splash of color and taste. Happy Cooking!
ALLERGEN FRIENDLY SWEET POTATO AND TURKEY CHILI RECIPE
2 cups diced sweet potatoes
1 cup butternut squash or carrots
2 cups chopped onions
1 pound ground chicken or turkey meat (use kidney beans or chick peas for vegetarian version)
4 garlic cloves
1 jar diced tomatoes in glass (Jovial Brand is my go to, cans leach BPA and other chemicals)
1/2 cup - 1 cup water or veggie broth (can add more if you want it more of a soup)
1 tsp greek oregano (any oregano will do, but I prefer Greek)
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1. peel and dice the sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, onions, garlic (chop to preference)
2. heat some olive oil and cook the garlic and onions until fragrant and translucent (5-8 minutes)
3. add the spices, vegetables, tomatoes, and water. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
4. while chili is simmering, cook the ground turkey or chicken in a pan until no longer pink.
5. Add in meat or cooked beans and simmer for an additional 5 minutes and salt to taste.
6. ENJOY a healthy, immune boosting, tasty meal!
OPTIONS: you can add green beans or sliced okra, red or green peppers, top with fresh cilantro and add avocado slices.